Sunday, August 19, 2007

First REAL Day

Friday was my official first day as a deputy sheriff. I had to sit through orientation. It was for all new County employees. Of course, like all firsts (first day of school, new job, first date, etc), I was a little nervous. All of that vanished when I opened the door. I saw a friend of mine from college. We had met my first year. He was an RA on the first floor of my dorm. I lived on the second floor. We had a biology class and a calculus class together. He helped me with biology and I helped him with calculus. He became a good friend that year. We lost contact for a little while after my junior year. It was just so good to see him though. We ended up going to have lunch together that day to catch up. It was nice to have a friendly face in that crowd.

Something did bother me during orientation though. The first thing we all did was stand up and say our name and what department we were working for. It was like AA (yes, I have been to an AA meeting-It was for a class, thanks!). My name is _______. And I work in the Sheriff's Office as a deputy sheriff. Well, two other people were also deputies. I should add they were both male. And already certified. Well, during one of our little breaks, one came over and introduced himself to the other male deputy. They chatted for the entire break. I was standing less than a yard away and they IGNORED me. Wow. Thanks for the warm welcome. Can't wait to become as asshole like you guys!

After working out that evening, I suddenly got really down in the dumps. It was strange. I knew I should have been on cloud nine, but I just wasn't there at all. I told MKJ as I went into the gym that I wasn't in a good mood. And it had something to do with not having anyone to share my excitement with (he was working that night). His response is as follows (in 9 text messages):

"Let me put this in perspective. You are now employed by the premier LE agency in the area."
"Everything you worked towards is bearing fruit."
"Some of the busiest weeks of your life are fast approaching."
"This is the time to relax and prepare."
"You should be high as a kite right now."
"If you feel you need to go out call _______, _________, or _______." (mutual friends)
"But don't bitch, because they're are people that would kill for the euphoria you should be feeling right now."
"Practice with that holster, dry-fire with weak and strong hand, finish your questions...and smile! This is what you've fought for!"
"I wonder if I am more excited than you are."

I love him.

I have taken this weekend slow. Still worked out everyday. Still ate well. Still got out and got some sun. Now, I am cleaning because my mother is coming into town tomorrow night--my swearing in is Tuesday morning. My brother may come to.

My best friend called last night and we talked for a while. MKJ knew I was upset about her not knowing/caring about me getting sworn in. I was there bright and early for hers--the day after college graduation! Hungover, but happy. Like a good boyfriend, MKJ texted her to tell her about it. I am glad he did. It means a lot that she be there. She has been there since I realized I wanted to do this in the first place.

Well, I need to work on my questions/dry-fire/clean/contemplate life. Have a good week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not meaning to take the spark out of your fire but training is going to be another beast that you may or may not enjoy. But get through it and things get easier. They even may call you a "boot."

I do agree with your man. Practice drawing your *empty* weapon. Dry fire strong and weak hands. Draw from your holster with your weak hand. Now try doing it lying on the ground as if just hit by a car.

You will find out that you should start...SHOULD... playing scenarious in your head so that you don't have to think about what you would do because you have already planned.

Take care and be safe. I remember my very first night on the street. My field training officer and I pull over a car. He walks up to drivers door and I to the passenger door. I see a gun and don't know what to do. I finally yell fun and things happen from there. Key to this story. I NEVER pulled my gun from the holster! Shame on me!!! You can barely keep my gun in its holster now.